Enter your e-mail address below and watch for a free weekly Training Tip on some aspect of martial arts, blade craft, conditioning, self defense, health, physical culture, history, mind training, attribute development, special offers & more
52 Blocks 4 DVD Set
Just 52 This Week Only!
This week you're in for a video treat as Coach Lyte Burly shows how to easily add arms to your heavy bag so it becomes a hybrid of heavy bag and mook yan jong (wooden man dummy).
He'd shown this set up on some of his videos and so I asked him to do an instructional and he over delivered on the content!
The best part? If you train 52 you will have everything you need on hand already! If not it'll just be a few bucks to get started or maybe you can improvise around what you do have.
You will need:
A heavy bag
As you see on the video set up is easy as 1-2-3!
1) Run the bungee cord through the ankle loops of the fast feet and hook the bungee around the heavy bag at shoulder height (4:00 on the video)
2) Spread out the fast feet so the loops are on either side of the heavy bag (4:38)
3) Put the coaching sticks through the two ankle loops and then hook the end of the sticks underneath the bungee cord to reinforce them so they don't droop down (5:36)
That's it! Now get to training with your new friend. What you'll find immediately is that:
1) You can no longer stand there and throw punches - you have to move both your head and your feet constantly or you will get hit
2) You can't just throw any old punches you want - you have to throw the correct punches for where you are in relation to the heavy bag
3) You need to keep your chin down, your hands up, and your body angled - you need to get out of the hot zone (between the arms) and into the cool zone (either side / back) while watching the bag's movement to predict what it's doing so you can be ahead
Not too much more to say on this one other than go try it for yourself. It really makes the heavy bag a lot more fun because it becomes more interactive. Every punch will make the bag do something new which in turn will force you to react differently so this is a workout for your EYES and your MIND as well as you hands!
Enjoy and all my best to you,
PS - Like this Article? Sign up for the Training Tips at the top of the page and get an original article like this sent to you by e-mail every week on Tuesday!
Check Back Next Week For A NEW
What Will It Be???